On 26 June 2017, the European Commission adopted the 2017 Annual Action Programme (AAP) for the Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace (IcSP) – Conflict prevention, peace-building and crisis preparedness component (Article 4).
The AAP 2017 of the Article 4 of the IcSP focuses on actions that aim to strengthen EU and its' partners capacity to prevent conflicts, build peace and address pre-and post-crisis needs. The actions of AAP 2017 provide support to:
- in-country capacity building of civil society actors, particularly in the areas of Preventing Violent Extremism, Strengthening the engagement of civil society organisations in the security sector, and Preventing Electoral Violence;
- mediation processes through the European Resources for Mediation Support (ERMES III);
- third countries to build up their capacity to carry out Recovery and Peace Building Assessments and Post-Disaster Needs Assessments;
- peace-building and stabilization efforts in mineral-rich fragile areas through the promotion of responsible sourcing and trading of gold and diamonds;
- third countries' justice processes during conflict, post-conflict and transition periods;
- preventing violent extremism through a gender sensitive approach; and
- reducing education sector risks and vulnerability in crisis situations.
Managed by the Service for Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI), the IcSP provides short- and mid-term assistance on conflict prevention, crisis-response and peace-building actions around the world. With a budget of EUR 2.3 billion for 2014-2020, FPI currently manages around 200 projects in over 75 countries. IcSP projects are implemented by NGOs, the UN and other international organisations, EU Member State agencies and regional and subregional organisations.
- Publication date
- 29 June 2017
- Service for Foreign Policy Instruments