We are the European Commission’s Service for Foreign Policy Instruments (FPI).
Our mission is to put EU foreign policy into action, fast and flexibly, in a policy-driven and integrated approach. We support achieving the objectives of the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy and our role is to:
- act as first responder to foreign policy needs and opportunities.
- help countries cope with crises and maintain peace and security.
- observe elections, support democracy and human dignity and the rule of law worldwide.
- build alliances and leverage the EU’s influence in the world.
- prevent trade in conflict diamonds and in goods that could be used for capital punishment or torture.
- address threats to international security through the European Peace Facility.
We are responsible for the operational and financial management of the budgets for the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy and for designing and managing actions, as per FPI’s mandate, under the relevant strands of the Neighbourhood, Development and International Cooperation Instrument (NDICI) – ‘Global Europe'.
We are contributing to an improved global conflict management through the European Peace Facility by funding peace support operations carried by international, regional and sub-regional organisations. This instrument allows the EU to do more and to act more swiftly in order to preserve peace, manage and resolve conflicts and to address threats to international security by using military and defence means as required. The Head of the Service for Foreign Policy Instruments is the administrator for assistance measures under the European Peace Facility.
Together with the European Parliament, we are managing the EU’s flagship public diplomacy programme, the European Union Visitors Programme.
The Service for Foreign Policy Instruments is reporting directly to the High Representative/Vice-President of the European Commission. We work closely with the European External Action Service and with all the Commission's Directorates General to ensure that our work is the most coherent and effective.