The European Commission established the “Global Facility on Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT)” to provide support to partner countries to strengthen their anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing frameworks in compliance with the AML/CFT international standards.
The overall objective of the project is to cut off access to funding for individual terrorists and terrorist organisations and introduce enhanced measures against serious organised crime, through support to increase compliance with the EU AML/CFT Framework, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) Recommendations and relevant UN Security Council Resolutions.
The project also aims to encourage cooperation between financial regulators, law enforcement, justice actors and civil society at national, regional and international levels.
The EU Global Facility offers various forms of technical assistance tailored to the partner countries’ needs, on a demand-driven basis and in response to emerging threats.
The project is centred around three separate yet intertwined pillars, covering all stages and actors of the financial investigation and penal chain which aim to:
- Strengthen the AML/CFT legislative, regulatory and policy framework of partner countries;
- Build AML/CFT institutional capacity in these countries;
- Increase national, regional and international cooperation on AML/CFT issues.
By supporting partner countries’ efforts to operate more efficient and effective AML/CFT systems and participate in an interconnected AML/CFT global network, the project reinforces European measures aimed at protecting the EU’s financial system. This leads to reduced financial flows from the informal economy and from organised crime to terrorist organisations, hindered use of serious organised crime proceeds and improved asset recovery mechanisms
Any country requiring technical assistance can formulate a request through their local EU Delegation or via the European Commission. Requests are then assessed by the European Commission, with a priority being given to countries listed (or close to being listed) by the EU and/or the FATF for their AML/CFT strategic deficiencies
- Duración del proyecto
- 25 sep 2017 - 31 dic 2023
- Lugares del proyecto
- AfghanistanAlgeriaArgentinaBotswanaColombiaDemocratic Republic of the CongoEcuadorGeorgiaJamaicaJordanKyrgyzstanMauritiusMoroccoMozambiquePanamaParaguaySeychellesSouth AfricaTrinidad and TobagoTanzaniaTunisiaTürkiyeUnited Arab EmiratesUkraineUruguayZambia
- Presupuesto total
- €20 150 000
- Contribución de la UE
- €20 000 00099.3% de la dotación presupuestaria global
- Partnership Instrument
- Conflict prevention, peace and stability